Currently, Associate Scientific Manager in Syngene International Private Limited, part of Biocon Group of companies involved in Custom Synthesis of Fine Chemicals and Active Pharmaceutical Intermediates after a two year Post-Doctoral Research Associate with Prof. H. C. Brown, a Nobel Laureaute,at the Department of Chemistry, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana.
1996 Ph. D. in Synthetic Organic Chemistry from the University of Madras under the guidance of Dr. S. Narasimhan, Assistant Director, SPIC Science Foundation, Guindy, Madras 600 032 and Dr. R. Gopalan, Professor and Head, Department of Chemistry, Madras Christian College, Tambaram, Madras 600 059.
1991 M. Sc. (General Chemistry), Madras Christian College, Madras 600 059.
1989 B. Sc. (Chemistry) with Maths and Physics as Allied from Madras Christian College, Tambaram, Madras 600 059.
Awards and Distinctions
1995 Senior Research Fellow from Center for Scientific and Industrial Research, Government of India.
1993 Junior Research Fellow from University Grants Commission, Government of India.
1991 Amjud Prize for Chemistry
1991 Prof. Edward Barnes Memorial Prize for Chemistry
1990 Dr. S. V. Ananthakrishnan Memorial Prize for Chemistry.
1990 Dr. Amjud Prize for Chemistry
1990 Edinburg Scholarship
1989 Certificate of Merit from the Royal Soceity of Chemists, London.
Currently I am working on Asymmetric Synthesis utlizing Borane Reagents.
The docotral research was on studies on the synthetic utility of Zinc Borohydride and its applications. Part of the studies are published in leading journals.
A study on the synthesis of ureas and thioureas which are useful intermediates in agrochemicals, insecticides etc., was carried out as a part of the requirement of Masters Degree.
Handled Undergraduate Chemistry classes at Madras Christian College
Handled classes for students 10-12 standards
9. Unusual Reactivity of Zinc Borohydride - reduction of amides to amines, Synth. Comm., 27, 391, 1997.
8. Reduction of esters to alchols by Zinc Borohydride, Synth. Comm.,27, 385, 1997.
7. Synthesis of 3Z,13Z-3,13-Octadecadienyl acetate - sex pheromone of Synanthedon tennuis, using readily available C11 synthon, Indian J. Chem, 35B, 99, 1996.
6. Unusual Reactivity of Zinc Borohydride - conversion of amino acids to amino alcohols, Synth. Comm., 26, 703, 1996.
5. Facile reduction of carboxylic acids by Zinc Borohydride, J. Org. Chem, 60, 5341, 1996.
4. Remarkable regioselective hydroboration of terminal alkenes by Calcium Borohydride, Tetrahedron Letters, 36, 1141, 1995.
3. One carbon homologation of 10-undecenyl derivatives through peroxide catalyzed addition of Carbon Tetrachloride, Indian J. Chem, 34B, 531, 1995.
2. A simple cost effective synthesis of (2E,13Z)-octadecadienyl acetate, a sex pheromone of componenet of lepidopteran pests, Indian J. Chem, 34B, 784, 1995.
1. Calcium Borohydride-a reagent for facile conversion of carboxylic esters to alcohols and aldehydes, Synth. Comm., 25, 1689, 1995.
Available upon request